What Does it Mean to Be Successful?
One of the most compelling things that comes with self-improvement is that you get to know yourself and what you value. As a consequence, you get to decide how you define success. Your self-esteem is not tied to comparing material achievements with others. Instead your goal is to continually get better at your chosen goals than you previously were. The competition is against your own standards.
This sounds nice and fluffy but the reality is that to reach your definition of success and to maintain it as things change through life you are going to have to clarify very specifically what success means and then identify the things that you need to do to achieve this. Some places to start include:
· Finding a purpose for your life
· Discovering what you are truly passionate at.
· Getting to know your strengths. What are you really good at. Build on this.
· Examining your personal and professional ambitions.
There is no all-purpose definition of success. In order to define what success is for you will require that you spend some time tapping into your thoughts and self-awareness. It can be a very challenging task to complete as things are always changing, you are aging, your needs and wants are fluid, and you yourself are unique. There is nobody else out there the same as you. Thus, while others can assist you in defining success by asking thoughtful questions, but the bottom line is that the definition of success is for you and only you to define. It is also a definition that is true for you and only you.
The Huffington Post suggests 3 steps to help you define success.
1. Figure out what makes you, YOU. What makes you unique? One way to reflect on this is to write your personal mission statement.
2. Remove your limiting beliefs and open yourself up to taking risks and reaping the rewards.
3. Keep doing whatever you have to do to help you be your best self. This involves practicing self-care, increasing your love for yourself and living an authentic life to your true self.